Women’s basketball associate head coach departs university

Kristin Cole, former women's basketball associate head coach, talks to her players during a matchup against Georgia State University on February 24 in College Park Center. Cole spent five years with the program prior to her departure. 

Kristin Cole, women’s basketball associate head coach, has decided to leave the university to focus more on her family.

The California native and University of Notre Dame alumna is a single mother to her son, Kael. Nine months ago, after her mother passed away, Cole said she started to notice how much she was missing in her son’s life, who is a three-sport athlete.

“I became a mom to be a mom, and he has about seven years left until he’s out of my house, so I really want to enjoy the time with him and not miss any more of it,” Cole said. “It was a difficult decision, but the right one for me and for him, and I feel really good about it.”

Cole was brought on to the program as an assistant coach in 2013 by head coach Krista Gerlich and was promoted in 2015. Gerlich said her decisions to bring Cole on staff and promote her were no-brainers, because she liked her work ethic as a coach, which she was able to see during their time on staff at West Texas A&M University.

“We’re sad to see her go, but we’re also glad she’s gonna be around,” Gerlich said. “She’s kind of got the best of both worlds—She’s still gonna be here and be our biggest fan for our kids, but yet still be able to be there for her son a little bit more.”

With nearly 21 years of coaching experience under her belt, Cole said she plans to stay in the area and possibly look for a coaching position at the high school level.

“I’ve really enjoyed my time at UTA,” she said. “Working for Coach Gerlich for the last six years has been such a blessing.”