Arlington gives you Wings, the Dallas Wings that is.

In front of an eager audience, the ownership group for the WNBA team formerly known as the Tulsa Shock was introduced as the Dallas Wings on Monday at the College Park Center, the team’s home court next year.

About 50 people gathered at the College Park Center’s main court, where the team name and logo were revealed, inciting applause from the crowd and an intuitive question from a member of the media after the logo’s unveiling.

“You can go anywhere in the world and when you say Dallas, people know where Dallas is,” team President David Swatzell said when asked why the team is named after Dallas despite playing in Arlington. “We want to drive the success of the team, and we believe that leaning into that already established, very successful brand is important for us.”

The logo, designed as a Pegasus to pay homage to Dallas’ iconic, red Pegasus on top of the Magnolia Hotel in downtown, is crested with blue and yellow.

Swatzell said the logo was based on the Pegasus’ powerful wings that give it energy and lift, personifying what the Dallas Wings are about and what they hope to achieve after moving from Tulsa, Oklahoma to UTA.

“It’s a durable icon that represents this community,” Swatzell said.

UTA Athletics director Jim Baker said the addition of a professional women’s basketball team is another step in the right direction both for the university and the city of Arlington.

“Having a women’s basketball program can only enhance both our men’s and women’s programs because you’re bringing basketball fans into the building,” Baker said.

The Dallas Wings are the first professional women’s basketball team to play in the Metroplex since the Dallas Diamonds played in Dallas in the late ’70s and early ’80s.

Krista Gerlich, women’s basketball head coach, expects UTA will benefit from having the Dallas Wings share its home court and said it could even help with recruiting efforts moving forward.

“It’s really exciting for UTA and for our program and just for the area,” Gerlich said. “For women’s basketball fans and players all around, I think it’s just a great opportunity for everyone to see the professional level.”

The Dallas Wings will take flight for their inaugural season in Arlington next year.

@_Grizzygrant

grant.mckinley@mavs.uta.edu