Photos: UTA women's tennis ends four-game winning streak with loss to Southern Methodist University

Junior Carla Pons eyes the ball during a match against Southern Methodist University on March 23 at UTA Tennis Center. Pons' singles match was marked unfinished.

The women’s tennis team was back in action Tuesday, looking to avenge their only loss against Southern Methodist University.

The team (11-2, 4-0) was coming off a four-match winning streak after beating Arkansas State 7-0 on Saturday and looked to keep that streak alive.

UTA 0, SMU 4

Coming into the match, UTA seemed set to continue its winning streak and avenge its only loss of the season against a tough Southern Methodist University team. That was not the case as the Mavericks were swept 4-0 on Tuesday.

In doubles, the Mavericks fell behind 2-1 as they battled it out against an aggressive Southern Methodist University.

In the third doubles position, junior doubles teammates Carla Pons and Almudena Boza lost their first ever doubles match 6-0 after winning seven doubles together consecutively.

In the second doubles position, junior captain Momoka Horiguchi and freshman Bruna Casasampere took down Southern Methodist University 6-1 to even the score up 1-1.

In the number one doubles junior Nanaka Takeuchi and sophomore Liz Chileno fought back after being down 4-3. It was not enough, however, as Southern Methodist University won 7-5, taking the final doubles point.

Going into singles, Southern Methodist University did not hold back as they swept UTA 3-0.

Boza was the first Maverick to fall in the number five position, losing 6-1, 6-2. Casasampere then fell in the number six position, losing 6-1, 6-2.

To end the day, Chileno lost in the number two position 6-4, 6-2. After a hard fought battle, Southern Methodist University took the final point for a clean sweep over the Mavericks.

The women’s tennis team will be on the road and back in action at 1 p.m. Thursday as they are set to face Rice University in Houston, Texas.

@ed_t0var