UTA indoor track and field teams open season with podium finishes at Ted Nelson Invitational

Sophomore distance runner Madeleine Rowe explodes from the starting line in the women's 3000 meter run Feb. 19 at the 2018 Sun Belt Indoor Track and Field Championships inside the Birmingham CrossPlex in Birmingham, Alabama.

UTA’s indoor track and field teams opened its 2020 season at the Ted Nelson Invitational in College Station on Friday and Saturday. The men’s team finished third while the women’s team finished sixth among the seven competing schools.

In the 3000-meter race, three Mavericks placed in the top 10: senior Justin Domangue in third, senior Cole Klashinsky in fourth, and sophomore Jared Lautenslager in eighth.

Senior Demarviae Gray placed second in the men’s 200-meter race while freshman Harold Murphy was runner-up in the men’s 800-meter race.

The one-mile race saw UTA post podium finishes for the men and women. Juniors Madeleine Rowe and Connor Butterfield each finished third in their respective races.

Among field events, senior Juleen Lewis placed fourth in both the women’s long jump and triple jump, with a distance of 5.74 meters and 11.71 meters in each event, respectively.

Sophomore Nolan Daggs earned a runner-up spot in the men’s weight throw with a distance of 17.74 meters. Freshman Bryson Deberry placed third in the men’s high jump, clearing 2.09 meters.

UTA’s next indoor track and field meet will be at the Red Raider Invitational on Jan. 24 in Lubbock, Texas.

Julio Vega is a sports reporter for The Shorthorn.