A ninth inning rally fell just short for the Mavericks as a 5-4 loss to the No. 3 ranked Texas Christian University Horned Frogs dropped UTA to 14-16 on the season. 

"I was proud of our effort tonight, we just came up short," head coach Darin Thomas said.

It didn't even take a hit for the Horned Frogs to score their first run. UTA's starting pitcher, junior Jordon West, walked TCU's first three batters before being pulled. Junior pitcher Jake Wilcox replaced West and the Horned Frogs scored on a sacrifice fly. 

Wilcox didn't allow a hit until he gave up a single in the fourth inning. In the fifth inning, TCU increased its lead to 4-0 after a fielding error. 

Sophomore designated hitter Will Olson hit his first home run of the season in the sixth inning to give the Mavericks their first run of the game. 

After the Horned Frogs responded with a run of their own in the seventh inning, junior second baseman Christian Hollie cut into the Horned Frogs lead with his second home run of the season to make the score 5-2.

The Mavericks rallied in the ninth inning behind an RBI triple from sophomore right fielder Aaron Funk, immediately followed by an RBI single by junior third baseman Easton Johnson, but failed to complete to comeback.

"I like the way we hung in there," Thomas said. "It's easy to get down, but I thought as the game went along, we had some better at-bats."

The Mavericks travel to Boone, North Carolina, this weekend for a three-game series against Sun Belt Conference foe Appalachian State University. 

"The series this weekend is going to depend a lot on if we can cut down the strikeouts and play solid defense," senior left fielder Quintin Rohrbaugh said.

@KevinCUTA