Signaling the start of the 2019 season, tennis head coach Diego Benitez released both the men’s and women’s spring schedules.

Benitez said the advantage each team has is the amount of home matches they have lined up: 16 for the men’s team and 12 for the women’s team.

“We had a really good fall, and we’re excited about the schedules, especially so many home matches,” Benitez said. “Everybody plays good home, we play really good at home.”

Last season, the teams didn’t have as many Sun Belt Conference matches as they have now, which will work as an advantage when the time comes, Benitez said.

Both teams were knocked out of the tournament last year by the University of South Alabama. Now, having the Jaguars scheduled in the regular season, the Mavericks are looking to redeem themselves.

“Everybody in the Sun Belt is really strong,” Benitez said. “But since South Alabama was a team that got us and has been getting us the last few years, on the women’s side especially, we’re looking forward to those matches.”

The men’s team will serve up its spring season on the road against Baylor University on Jan. 18. Following that, the Mavericks will face Rice University on Jan. 25 before returning to the UTA Tennis Center.

“[Baylor is] going to be a good test right from the get-go,” Benitez said. 

Opening up a long home stretch, the Mavericks will take on UT-Permian Basin and Prairie View A&M University on Jan. 27. Following that, the Mavericks will face Wichita State University, Dallas Baptist University, Cameron University and Lamar University in February.

The men’s schedule features 11 matches slated for March, two of which are away. The Mavericks will face teams like Texas Christian University and Columbia University at home and Georgetown University and Lynn University on the road before opening up conference play mid-March.

Kicking off Sun Belt Conference play, the Mavericks will host Georgia State University and Georgia Southern University along with Appalachian State University and Coastal Carolina University to wrap up the Month.

The Mavericks will open up the month of April with a match versus in-state foe Southern Methodist University. Following that, the team will wrap up its regular season at home before competing in the conference championships.

The women’s schedule is somewhat similar, as the team will kick off the spring with an eight-match home stretch, starting with UT-Permian Basin and ending with teams like Western Kentucky University, Wichita State and UT-Rio Grande Valley.

Hitting the road, the Mavericks will travel to Houston to face Rice before taking on the University of Toledo and James Madison University in Miami and opening conference play in Alabama.

The Mavericks have 10 conference matches scattered throughout the month of February and March but will play a couple of nonconference matches against the University of North Texas and SMU in between.

The 2018 Sun Belt Conference Championships will be held April 19-22 at the Peachtree Tennis Center in Peachtree City, Georgia.