Movin’ Mavs fall to Dallas Wheelchair Mavericks in final game of tournament

Graduate student Antoine Gray shoots the ball during a game against the Toronto Rollin' Raptors on Feb. 15 at the Physical Education Building. The Movin' Mavs defeated the Raptors 77-39.

The Movin’ Mavs closed out the 2020 Dallas Wheelchair Mavericks Invitational with a 69-53 loss to the namesake team.

Dallas was the Movin’ Mavs’ toughest opponent of the weekend, giving UTA its toughest quarter of the tournament. Leading 11-10 after the first quarter, Dallas targeted Zach Blair, high-pointer and UTA alumnus, who tallied 22 points by halftime.

Dallas’ intense offense saw it lead 30-24 at the break as UTA fought to stay close.

Despite the best efforts of senior Fabian Romo, who downed 18 points from 3-pointers in the second half, Dallas never took its foot off the gas. UTA’s lack of shooting efficiency near the paint didn’t help them, missing easy looks and failing to convert key layups.

Head coach Doug Garner said he knew it would be an intense game, and despite the early deficit, UTA was able to match Dallas' output.

"As a college team, to push them like that, that pushes us, too," he said. "We were right there with them."

Blair's rampage all game saw him accumulate a game-high 37 points while Dallas' Bobbie Nickleberry kept the offensive threat going with 14 points in the second half.

Romo ended with 22 points while junior Clarence McCarthy-Grogan totaled 8 points, all in the first half.

Garner said he's cautiously optimistic about the final weeks of the season and thinks the team can finish strong in the college wheelchair basketball division.

Julio Vega is a sports reporter for The Shorthorn.