Men’s tennis team steps up at ITA Texas Regional Championships, picks up wins against ranked opponents

Junior Eduard Simo prepares to forehand the ball Feb. 3 2018 during the men's double against Cameron University at the UTA Tennis Center. 

The men’s tennis team picked up favorable results on Monday at the ITA Texas Regional Championships from the Hurd Tennis Center in Waco, Texas.

Freshman Angel Diaz advanced to the quarterfinals of the tournament after winning four singles matches including a second round victory over the sixth-seeded player in the tournament, No. 39 ranked Parker Wynn, a senior from Texas Tech University.

Diaz lost in his quarterfinals match 6-3, 7-5 against sophomore Austin Abbrat from Texas A&M University, but increased his chances for selection to play at the ITA National Fall Championships in Newport Beach, California, Nov. 6-10.

Sophomore Miguel Cabrera had a second round win (7-5, 7-6, 7-3) over Matias Soto, the second-seeded and No. 17 ranked junior from Baylor University. Cabrera dropped his third round matchup 6-2, 7-5 to freshman Ethan Leon from Southern Methodist University.

Senior Alejandro Hayen bounced back from his first round loss by winning four matches to advance to the semifinals of the consolation bracket.

In doubles competition, freshman Ricardo Alban and junior Eduard Simo advanced to the second round of the tournament where they were defeated 8-4.

Hayen and freshman Alan Sau Franco won two doubles matches to proceed to the round of 16 before falling short to seniors Christian Sigsgaard and Yuya Ito from UT-Austin, who are ranked 17th nationally.

The men’s tennis team will compete next at the Ralston/Neufeld Coaches Challenge at SMU in Dallas starting on Friday.

@OlmedoAEO