UTA Lady Movin' Mavs defeats University of Wisconsin-Whitewater in tournament

Senior Abigail Dunkin, second from left, passes the ball to senior Rose Hollermann, far right, during the first period of the game against the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater on March 15 in the Lady Movin' Mavs' first game in the 2018 National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament held at Southwest Minnesota State University in Marshall, Minnesota.

MARSHALL, Minn. — Behind double-doubles from senior Abigail Dunkin and freshman Annabelle Lindsay, the Lady Movin’ Mavs clinched a berth into the championship game of the 2018 National Intercollegiate Wheelchair Basketball Tournament on Thursday night.

The No. 1 seeded Lady Movin’ Mavs defeated the University of Wisconsin-Whitewater 78-44 in the semifinals.

“It was kind of dominant, but in the third and fourth, we gave up a lot of points and that’s something we really want to work on,” head coach Jason Nelms said. “Our goal really was to come out there and to use it, I hate to say it, to use it as a practice. We kind of know it's coming down to us and Bama.”

The Lady Movin’ Mavs set the tone early in the game, with Dunkin scoring 12 first quarter points, senior Rose Hollermann tallying 11, and graduate student Morgan Wood stealing the ball three times.

UWW would not get a chance to lead throughout the entire first half as UTA continued to mount the pressure both offensively and defensively.

With under five minutes to play in the second quarter, the Lady Movin’ Mavs took a 36-10 lead. At that point, eight different players had already made appearances for the team.

Despite UWW calling two timeouts in the first half, it did not alter UTA from pushing the pace on offense and clamping down on defense, stealing the ball seven times in the half.

Hollermann and Dunkin would prove to be the team’s dynamic through the first two quarters, each scoring in double figures. Dunkin would lead both teams in scoring with 15 points and Hollermann would contribute 14. Both players dished out five assists and grabbed five rebounds before the break.

The Lady Movin’ Mavs would shoot 56 percent in the first half, despite not making any 3-pointers. UTA outrebounded UWW 24-8, leading 48-14 at the break.

“I think we had a great team performance, everybody got minutes, everybody put up some good boards and points,” Dunkin said. “It was a really good game for the big dance on Saturday.”

The second half would see UWW outscore UTA 12-10 in the third-quarter, but UTA's lead was too big to overcome.

Hollermann said she liked the overall scoring distribution and how the team playing to its strength.

Dunkin finished the game with 24 points, 12 rebounds and three assists shy of a triple-double.

“I can’t ask anything more out of a player than that,” Nelms said.

Lindsay also contributed with 23 points and 10 rebounds. 

After leading by as many as 38 points during the game, UTA would get 29 points out of its bench, compared to Whitewater's six points. The Lady Movin’ Mavs as a team would have 19 second chance points shoot 52.8 percent from the field for the game.

The Lady Movin’ Mavs will look to complete an undefeated season as it will face the University of Alabama on Saturday at noon in its quest for the national title.

@AbhijitMody12