Zubizarreto,IsabelMug

Donald Trump is right (sort of).

While trying to understand the issues that surround the never-ending dispute of Trump and the Mexicans (which I bet in his mind is a general term used to describe every Latin American as a way of unifying this oh-so-puzzling race) I found his Immigration Policy. To my surprise, after months of hearing his baffling, ignorant and insulting comments, I came across two logically sound statements: “A nation without borders is not a nation,” and “A nation that does not serve its own citizens is not a nation.”

Coming from a man who believes building walls makes for good neighbors, this was astonishing.

Yet, I couldn’t completely agree.

I come from a long line of immigrants, and I am starting to believe that being an immigrant is a hereditary trait. I have discovered the burden and the happiness that comes with being from somewhere and nowhere simultaneously. I have always believed that a sense of belonging makes us who we are, but I have found it increasingly difficult to wear my origin as a badge of honor. I have come to terms with this idea of globalization: we are from this planet more than strictly from a country.

Borders are man-made.

A need for borders has always been the weapon of those who seek to have control over others. In a strictly denotative way, Trump is stating a true fact, but we should be able to look past ourselves because we belong to a global community.

In relation to his second statement, it is undeniable: The United States has never been responsible for protecting the rest of the world. Period. Each country has to look out for itself.

As a person that lived in South America, I can say with certainty that the U.S. has a bad reputation for sticking its nose where it doesn’t belong. Not to say that it isn’t needed at times, but a nation must protect its citizens before anyone else.

As President Ronald Reagan once famously said, the U.S. should not be the policeman of the world. Yet, I also believe there is a point in mentioning that the involvement in other countries can be primarily because of self interest.

Rather than making this great nation sound like the martyr of the world, I think we should be aware of the value of its input without disregarding its power.

Further, the U.S. does not and should not welcome every person that ever desires to be here.

There must be regulations and standards in this often dangerous world, but being humane and compassionate with people that are running away from life-threatening situations does not make the U.S. seem weak or complacent.

I’ve heard people say this again and again — the U.S. was built by immigrants. Pretending that immigrants are not a fundamental part of the way this country works is absurd.

Whether Mexican, Cuban, Chinese or Syrian, I believe we should all be given the benefit of the doubt.

If I have learned anything, it is that there’s no defining characteristic for a whole nationality. Thoughtless words that intend to be "one size fits all" should not be compelling to anyone.

I know that in the land of the free there is enough room for those whose families have been here for hundreds of years, as well as for those who have just begun to build their lives.

“Give me your tired, your poor, your huddled masses yearning to breathe free” is what the Statue of Liberty says. There is no contradiction in loving your country and in welcoming those who crave a better life.