APTOPIX Campaign 2016 VP Debate

An official stands on stage Monday during preparations for the vice-presidential debate between Republican vice-presidential nominee Gov. Mike Pence and Democratic vice-presidential nominee Sen. Tim Kaine in at Longwood University in Farmville, Va.

The vice president debate is here.

Mike Pence, Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump’s running mate, and Tim Kaine, Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton’s running mate, will share their views during the Oct. 4 debate at Longwood University in Farmville, Va. CBS television reporter Elaine Quijano will moderate the debate.

The UTA community can watch the debate 7:30 to 9:30 p.m. in the Central Library's sixth floor atrium. 

Pence said he expects Tuesday’s debate against Tim Kaine to focus on the candidates who chose them as running mates.

The Republican told supporters at a rally north of Richmond, Va., that he expects to defend GOP nominee Donald Trump and for Kaine to argue in favor of Democrat Hillary Clinton.

“I kind of hope we get to talk about our records, as well,” Pence said.

Political background

Pence is serving his first term as Indiana's governor. He was elected in 2012.

Before he became governor, he was a Congressman. Pence was elected in 2000 and has served six terms in the U.S. House of Representatives.

Kaine is a U.S. Senator representing Virginia. He was elected in 2012.

He was governor of Virginia before he transitioned into Congress. He served as governor from 2006 to 2010.

Education

Education is an issue for the vice president candidates.

Pence as Congressman was one of 25 Republicans to vote against No Child Left Behind, which requires states to test students in math and reading from third grade into high school. As governor, he has supported the increase in charter schools and vouchers. He also advocated for the first state-funded preschool program, launched in 2015.

Kaine believes a well-educated population is key to advancing the nation. He created the Teach Safe Relationships Act to teach students about safe relationship behavior to help prevent sexual assault on and off college campuses.

Education issues students have include the high cost of tuition and sex education at the K-12 level.

Education freshman Katie Yates said college tuition is too expensive, but it is not the responsibility of the government.

Brian Mack, aerospace engineering and electrical engineering junior said there is no uniformity in teaching sex education.

“One major problem is students are not taught what consent is before they go to college,” he said.

Immigration

Immigration has become an important issue for constituents this political election.

As a Congressman, Pence voted in favor of hospitals reporting any illegal immigrants before they can be reimbursed for their treatment. He also voted in favor of building a fence along the Mexican border and to end the birthright citizenship, eliminating "anchor babies." Anchor babies are children born to a non-citizen mother. These children are born with birthright citizenship to the U.S.

Kaine has a bipartisan approach to immigration. He worked with other members of Congress to create an immigration reform package and spoke Spanish on the Senate floor. He views the immigration issue as the system itself.

Students had split views on immigration and how the government should approach the issue.

“The problem with immigration is the system,” Mack said. “The country was founded on immigration. A wall is an ineffective way to handle the issue. It will cause more problems than solutions.”

Aerospace engineering junior Katrina Martin said she believes in legal immigration, but immigrants have to come assimilated to U.S. culture.

“[Immigrants] want to bring their culture and language to the country, and that is the problem,” Martin said. “Having different languages creates a divide in the country.”

Civil rights

After legalizing same-sex marriage and as the Black Lives Matter movement gains momentum, social issues are up for debate.

As a Congressman, Pence voted in favor of constitutionally defining marriage as one-man-one-woman. He voted "no" on prohibiting job discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Kaine opposes defining traditional marriage as one-man-one-woman. He is against wage discrimination based on gender.

Mack said he believes a lot of issues are not what they seem and are drawn out by the media. He said there isn’t much the government can do to regulate civil rights.

“You can’t legislate morals,” Mack said.

Why the vice president matters

The vice president has one constitutional job: He is to be the presiding officer of the Senate. Vice presidents are also the president's ceremonial assistant and are a key part of the president’s administration.

Vice president is second in command to the nation. If anything happens to the president, whether it is a death or sickness, the vice president will act as president.

For example, when Richard Nixon resigned as president, his vice president, Gerald Ford, was sworn in as president.

The vice president may have a short list of duties, but have the potential to become the president of the U.S.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

@SamanthaDouty