Veterans fair offers counseling, budget advice

Therapist Judith Fields discusses re-adjustment counseling services provided by the Arlington Veteran Center on Wednesday at the Veteran Fair in the Sweet Center. Veteran organizations discussed benefits and services provided to students.

Lance King was just starting college after most people he knew in high school had already earned a degree.

King, now a realtor, spoke to attendees during Wednesday’s Veteran Resource Fair, offering financial and mortgage advice to fellow veterans. He left the Army four years ago.

About 10 veterans attended the fair Wednesday. The fair informed them about financial benefits and scholarship opportunities. Counseling centers also attended the resource fair, lending a hand to those who might need words of encouragement.

Readjustment counseling, military sexual trauma counseling and bereavement counseling offer total confidentiality over these personal issues in which counseling is necessary, Judith Fields, Vet Center counseling therapist said.

“I was unaware that the counseling service offered counseling in mental disabilities,” veteran Raybun Hardy said. “Great information was delivered.”

Counseling is available on campus at the Center for Clinical Work in the Social Work Complex Building B, which is open from 2 p.m. to 5 p.m. Wednesdays, and certain veteran centers also offer 24 hour service, Fields said. 

“Most veterans are unaware that there are benefits that not only benefit them but their spouses as well,” social work assistant professor Alexa Smith-Osborne said.

Information about the post-9/11 GI Bill and services from the Tarrant County Veteran Services Office were made available to the veterans that attended.

Agencies on campus can help with financial issues such as work study programs that help with paying rent and tuition, Fields said.

“Any veteran can be a work study veteran,” Fields said.

Representatives from Community Bank and other financial organizations offered services to help maintain budgets, Smith-Osborne said.

“The financial fair is an annual spring event that covers financial issues with expert panelists,” Smith-Osborne said.

There is an estimated 22 million veterans in the United States currently. At UTA there are approximately 3,000 veterans pursuing a degree, Smith-Osborne said.

@juanrgovea

juan.govea@mavs.uta.edu