UTA student arrested for stabbing a woman in Lewisville

Guadalupe Buenaventura, 18, is charged with one felony count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon. His bail is set at $10,000 and has not been posted.

Lewisville Police officers arrested a male UTA student Tuesday on a charge of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon committed at the 1200 block of Winston Drive.

The suspect, 18-year-old Guadalupe Buenaventura, allegedly stabbed Penny Denney with a knife, according to an arrest affidavit. The suspect dropped his phone when he left the scene, which aided Lewisville Police detectives in identifying him. 

Penny Denney remains hospitalized, according to a Facebook post made Tuesday by the Lewisville Police Department. The case is still under investigation.

An officer was dispatched to the home of Penny Denney and Brad Denney at about 6:30 p.m. Monday for a stabbing call made by Penny Denney’s husband Brad Denney, according to the affidavit. Penny Denney was already in the back of an ambulance when the officer arrived, but Brad Denney informed the officer he had security footage of the incident.

The footage captured the suspect walking in front of the house and in the driveway, according to the affidavit. He asked Penny Denney if she had seen a little girl, to which she replied no before the suspect stabbed her.

Penny Denney burst through the back door screaming that she had been stabbed in the stomach and Brad Denney called 911, according to the affidavit.

The officer dispatched to the scene spoke with Penny Denney at the hospital and photographed the stab wound, which measured between 1 inch and 1.5 inches long. The knife had penetrated her liver and she underwent surgery for internal bleeding.

Penny Denney was unable to write a statement but gave officers the same information that Brad Denney did, according to the affidavit.

Officers spoke to a neighbor on Winston Drive who told them the suspect persistently knocked on his door earlier that evening. When he opened the door, the suspect asked if he had seen his dog. The neighbor replied no and advised the suspect to check the alleyway.

The neighbor did not see if the suspect possessed any weapons, according to the affidavit.

Police learned the suspect graduated from Lewisville High School after consulting the Lewisville Independent School District Skyward database. They also learned the suspect lived a street over from Winston Drive, where the stabbing occurred.

Penny Denney identified the suspect as the person she encountered in her driveway after police displayed a photographic lineup to her in the hospital, according to the affidavit.

Buenaventura is charged with one felony count of aggravated assault with a deadly weapon, according to Denton County jail records. His bail is set at $10,000 and has not been posted.

@colby_farr