UTA reports 5 additional COVID-19 cases since June 12

The setting sun reflects off the UTA tower Jan. 19 on the corner of UTA Boulevard and Cooper Street. 

Since June 12, UTA has reported five additional COVID-19 cases, according to the university website.

The five positive cases include a student, three staff members and a contractor/vendor. They were reported within a week and a half of each other.

Prior to this, the university saw two other positive cases: a custodian assigned to work in the Business Building on June 12 and a student on March 14.

With each positive diagnosis, the university works with the individual to identify anyone they have come in contact with as well as any university buildings they have frequented in order to conduct precautionary additional cleaning of those buildings, chief communications officer Joe Carpenter said in an email.

UTA has since made it mandatory for all individuals to wear face coverings while on campus.

Individuals who have tested positive for COVID-19 or have come in close contact with someone who has tested positive are required to report it to the university here.

“The nature of a pandemic like this means that successfully combatting it requires all of us to do our part in minimizing the chances of spreading it,” Carpenter said. “Reporting a positive diagnosis or close contact with a confirmed individual protects the individual and helps keep everyone else safe.”

According to the university website, individuals who have recovered from COVID-19 must meet certain criteria before returning to campus:

• At least 3 days (72 hours) have passed since recovery (resolution of fever without the use of fever-reducing medications
  • Improvement in symptoms (e.g. cough, shortness of breath)
  • At least 10 days have passed since symptoms first appeared
  • A note from a medical professional clearing you for return to work or class

In addition, the university encourages individuals to conduct self-screenings each day prior to returning to campus or before leaving their on-campus residence.

“Students living on campus who test positive for COVID-19 will be advised to return to their permanent residence,” according to the fall repopulation plan. “If they do not have an alternate residence or cannot return home, isolation accommodations will be provided.”