College of Education faculty are set to showcase their research at the annual American Educational Research Association conference in Washington, D.C.

The conference will take place Friday through Tuesday.

The annual conference is the largest gathering of scholars where education researchers present their studies, ranging from early to higher education.

The college has been part of the conference since 1998, said Jeanne Gerlach, associate vice provost for K-16 initiatives.

“It’s a very prestigious conference,” Gerlach said. “Only the best of the best are selected, and we have such a great group going.”

Yi Zhang, educational leadership and policy studies assistant professor, said research conferences are beneficial for graduate students not only because of the valuable research being presented but also because it is a great way to network with other colleagues. Zhang was a graduate student in 2012 and has been attending the conference ever since.

Zhang is part of a research study that investigates the impact of the credit recovery program implemented in the educational leadership and policy studies online master’s degree program.

The program aims to help students who can’t finish a class by offering independent studies or additional courses that offer flexible schedules, she said.

Bradley Davis, educational leadership and policy studies assistant professor, is part of a study that looks into the career impact of principal preparation programs offered in the university.

Education preparation programs have been inadequate at tracking the career paths of graduates, he said.

“I think it’s our responsibility that we’re producing meaningful and cutting-edge research that has practical implications,” Davis said.

AERA’s selection process requires education researchers to submit their study proposals, and they are selected through blind peer review panels, she said. There are two types of submissions: an individual paper (one or more authors) and a session submission (multiple presentations or participants). Online submissions will judged on completeness and originality, among other things.

Other research includes how science, technology, engineering and mathematics are implemented in early childhood education. Thirty-four preschoolers participated in the study, and 89 percent of the children were able to recite numbers in order and 70 percent were able to do rational counting. Also, the feeling of mattering among resident assistants differed from those who were not.

@isabelcutillar