The UTA community and Arlington residents can comment on the professionalism of UTA Police at an accreditation meeting Dec. 16.

The department is holding an open meeting as part of an on-site assessment by the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies where people can voice their opinions about the department, Capt. Mike McCord said. The commission accredits law enforcement agencies across the continent by holding police departments to a set of professional standards focusing on everything from quality of service, management organization and maintenance of facilities, according to the commission’s website.

“We strongly suggest the community be a part of it,” McCord said. “We want them to have a voice in being able to give the assessors a perspective on how this department performs.”

UTA Police has been accredited two times by the commission since 2006, said Melissa Mais, UTA Police accreditation manager. If everything goes well, UTA Police will have another three years of accreditation under its belt.

Mais works year-round putting together a comprehensive collection of the department’s policies and documents that present their compliance with the accreditation standards. Once Mais has completed the report, which consists of 484 files, it is looked over by the commission, Mais said.

The most important file is the one that covers crime prevention because it directly involves the community, she said. The files describe in detail what UTA Police has done to inform the public about crime on campus and how they distribute that information.

The meeting will take place at 3:30 p.m. Dec. 16 in the Wetsel Service Center located off Mitchell street on the west side of campus and is open to the public.