crime (copy)

This is a crime wrapup from April 21 to April 28.

Duty on striking unattended vehicle

A female student reported damage to her vehicle, a white Honda Civic, while it was parked at a metered parking space near the College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs Building on Monday. The rear bumper of the vehicle was scuffed and estimated to cost $400 in damage repair, UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said in an email.

The case is listed as active, according to the UTA crime log.

Duty on striking an unattended vehicle is considered a class C misdemeanor if the damage is valued less than $200 or a class B misdemeanor if the value of the damage is estimated to be $200 or more, according to the Texas Transportation Code.

If a class C misdemeanor, violators may face a fine up to $500, according to the Texas Penal Code. If a class B misdemeanor, violators may face a fine up to $2,000, a jail sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

Theft

A male staff member reported his backpack was stolen April 22 near 503 West Third St., according to the UTA crime log. McCord said the bag and its contents were estimated to value $600.

The male’s credit card information was obtained from the contents of the backpack and used to make an unauthorized purchase, McCord said. The value of the purchase was $60.

Theft of items valued between $100 and $750 is considered a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a fine of up to $2,000, a jail sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

Evading arrest or detention with vehicle

A UTA police officer attempted to stop a vehicle for a traffic violation Sunday near the 1100 block of South Davis Drive. The vehicle fled without stopping for the officer, McCord said.

Evading arrest with a vehicle is considered a state jail felony, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a prison sentence between 180 days and two years, a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both.

Theft

A male student reported the theft of his bicycle April 23 near 801 W. Bering Dr, McCord said. The bike was estimated to value $100.

Motor Vehicle Theft

A male student reported his vehicle was stolen from Parking Lot 36 on April 22, according to the UTA crime log. McCord said the value of the vehicle, a blue Honda CR-V, was not known.

Theft of property valuing between $2,500 and $30,000 is considered a state jail felony, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a prison sentence between 180 days and two years, a fine not exceeding $10,000 or both.

Theft of Property

An unaffiliated male was caught in the process of stealing a bicycle April 23 near the 400 block of South Center Street, McCord said. He was arrested and transported to Tarrant County Jail without incident.

Stalking

A female student reported unwanted contact April 20 from a male student in person and electronically at 700 W. Mitchell Circle, McCord said.

According to the UTA crime log, the case was referred to the Title IX Office.

Stalking is a third-degree felony, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may face a jail sentence between two to 10 years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

Forgery Financial Instrument

A female UTA staff member reported 10 fraudulent checks April 10 near 216 W. Main St. valuing about $7,000 in total, McCord said. The case is under investigation, according to the UTA crime log.

Forgery is considered a state jail felony if the property or service values between $2,500 and $30,000, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may face a prison sentence between 180 days and two years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both.

@colby_farr