UTA, Arlington police to host outreach events encouraging community safety

Jay Tillerson, UTA Police assistant chief dances during the 36th annual National Night Out on Oct. 1 at Brazos Park. Tillerson was dancing to "Y.M.C.A." and was given pompoms by the UTA Dance team. 

The UTA Police Department will host National Day Out 2020 at the University Center Mall from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Oct. 6.

The nationally recognized event occurs annually and helps the department build partnerships on and off campus to promote community safety and security, UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said. There will be some tables and displays set up as officers provide information to UTA community members.

The event, which normally happens at night, was rescheduled to take place during the day due to the pandemic. It offers a way for UTA police to touch base with people on campus as they grab goodie bags and greet officers at the booth, McCord said.

COVID-19 precautions will be in place and include contactless goodie bag retrievals, he said.

“We just want to be there for our community and help spread the word about how we can all make our campus safe,” he said.

The Arlington Police Department is hosting National Night Out 2020 at four drive-thru party locations from 6 to 8 p.m. Tuesday, according to a news release.

Residents can attend the hybrid version of the event at one of the four locations established in each Arlington district, Lt. Christopher Cook said in an email.

Each site will have collection boxes where people can drop off canned goods and non-perishable foods that will be donated to Mission Arlington, as well as pick up free 7-Eleven Slurpee coupons and National Night Out merchandise. Participating officers will be wearing face masks, according to the news release.

“We are supporting Mission Arlington’s Foodbank, which is in need of community donations,” Cook said. “Officers will wear protective equipment to stay safe. Citizens should remain in their cars when possible as officers wave to them and provide goody bags to kids.”

Officers wanted to show that they are still here and desire to safely connect with residents, Cook said.