crime

This is a crime wrapup for Feb. 14 to Feb. 16

Theft

A male student reported receiving a counterfeit phone as part of a transaction from an online forum, said UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord in an email. The estimated value of the loss was $800.

According to the UTA crime log, it was reported Friday, and the case is under investigation.

McCord said participants of an online sale should conduct the transaction in a populated, public place such as a parking lot at a police department.  

“We recommend confirming all functions and features of an item for sale from an individual before completing the transaction,” he said. “Once a sale is complete, it may not be possible to remedy the situation.”

Theft is considered a class A misdemeanor by the Texas Penal Code if the value of property stolen is between $750 and $2,500. Violators can face a fine of up to $4,000, a prison term not exceeding a year or both.

Duty on Striking Unattended Vehicle

A male student reported that his black Infiniti vehicle was damaged Friday in Lot 30 by Arbor Oaks apartments. The rear quarter panel on the driver’s side was scuffed, McCord said. The cost of damage is unknown.

According to the crime log, the case is under investigation.

Damaging an unattended vehicle may amount to a class C misdemeanor if the damage is valued under $200 or a class B misdemeanor if the damage is valued over $200, according to the Texas Transportation Code.

Theft

A male student reported that his iPhone 8 was stolen from a gym at the Maverick Activities Center on Saturday, McCord said. The phone was estimated to value $379.

Theft of an item or items valued between $100 and $750 is considered a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a prison term of up to 180 days, a fine not exceeding $2,000 or both.

Unlawful carrying of a weapon; Evading Arrest; Tamper/Fabricate Physical Evidence

An officer reported an unaffiliated female driver possessing drug paraphernalia and an unaffiliated male passenger in possession of a firearm Sunday during a traffic stop. The male fled from officers and the case is under investigation, McCord said.

Unlawful carrying of a weapon is considered a class A misdemeanor and violators can face a fine of up to $4,000, a prison term not exceeding one year or both, according to the Texas Penal Code.

Evading arrest is considered a class A misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code.

@colby_farr