crime

This is a crime wrapup for Feb. 10 to Feb. 13.

Credit/Debit Card Abuse

A male staff member reported three attempted charges on his university procurement card Thursday, according to the UTA crime log. The charges totaled about $225, but they were declined, and no loss was reported, UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said in an email.

Credit or debit card abuse is considered a state jail felony and is punishable by a prison sentence between 180 days and two years and possibly a fine of up to $10,000, according to the Texas Penal Code.

Forgery Financial Instrument

A female staff member received notification of a potential fraudulent check Thursday, McCord said. The check was valued at $425 but was not processed.

Forgery is considered a state jail felony, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may face a prison sentence between 180 days and two years and possibly a fine of up to $10,000.

Public Urination

An officer issued a citation Thursday afternoon to an unaffiliated male who was urinating near The Green at College Park, McCord said.

Exposing one’s genitals or anus is considered a class C misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. It is punishable by a fine of up to $500.

Theft

A female faculty member reported the theft of $500 in currency and checks from her office at the Maverick Activities Center on Tuesday, McCord said. According to the UTA crime log, the case is active.

Theft of items valued between $100 and $750 is considered a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a fine of up to $2,000, a prison sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

Vehicle Theft

A male student reported the theft of his vehicle, a gold Chevrolet Tahoe, Tuesday afternoon near Kalpana Chawla Hall, McCord said.

The Texas Penal Code states that stealing property valued between $2,500 and $30,000 is considered a state jail felony. Violators can face a prison sentence between 180 days and two years and possibly a fine not exceeding $10,000.

Possession of Marijuana and Weapon

An unaffiliated male driver was found to possess less than two ounces of marijuana and a handgun, McCord said. An officer stopped the vehicle for a traffic violation early Wednesday morning. The man was transported to the Arlington Police Department jail without incident.

Possession of marijuana weighing less than two ounces is considered a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a fine of up to $2,000, a prison sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

Unlawful carrying of a weapon is considered a class A misdemeanor and is punishable by a fine of up to $4,000, a prison sentence not exceeding one year or both.

Theft

A male student reported a gun was stolen from his vehicle near Kalpana Chawla Hall on Monday afternoon, McCord said. The stolen property was estimated to value $500, and the door handle was damaged upon entry.

Burglary of a vehicle is considered a class A misdemeanor. Violators can face a fine of up to $4,000, a prison sentence not exceeding one year or both.

@colby_farr