crime

This is a crime wrapup from Feb. 16 to Feb. 18.

Theft

A female contractor reported the theft of an estimated $840 Samsung tablet near the University Center on Tuesday, UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said in an email.

Theft of items valued between $750 and $2,500 is considered a class A misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a fine of up to $4,000, a prison sentence not exceeding one year or both.

Criminal Trespass and Possession of Marijuana

Officers investigated a call that someone was sleeping in the Fine Arts Building on Tuesday morning. McCord said they found an unaffiliated male in violation of a criminal trespass warning and in possession of marijuana.  

The male had seven warrants from the Arlington Police Department and Tarrant County Sheriff’s Office, McCord said. He was arrested and transported to Arlington Police Department’s jail.

Criminal trespass on university property is considered a class A misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a fine of up to $4,000, a prison sentence not exceeding one year or both.

Possession of marijuana weighing less than two ounces is considered a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a fine of up to $2,000, a prison sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

Leaving Accident Scene

A female student reported a vehicle struck her vehicle Tuesday afternoon in a parking lot near the Tri-C. McCord said the vehicle did not stop to provide information.

There is not a cost estimate, and the case is under investigation.

Failure to stop and provide information after striking another vehicle is considered a class C misdemeanor, according to the Texas Transportation Code. Violators can face a fine not exceeding $500.

Duty on Striking Unattended Vehicle

A male student reported a vehicle struck his Volkswagen Jetta near Center Point apartments Tuesday night. McCord said the vehicle left without providing information, and the incident is under investigation.

Damaging an unattended vehicle may amount to a class C misdemeanor if the damage is valued under $200 or a class B misdemeanor if the damage is valued over $200, according to the Texas Transportation Code.

@colby_farr