Capitalism and other systems were discussed during an inequality workshop.

CAPPA Ph.D Consortium, a student organization for doctoral students in the College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs, hosted the workshop Thursday.

The workshop is part of a national initiative called The Next System Project, which has encouraged university students to discuss issues they are concerned about, said Ali Adil, president of the consortium and urban planning and public policy doctoral student.

“We need to think about post-capitalist society and what might that look like,” Adil said.

Adil said he hoped the workshop encourages the UTA community to start conversations about issues that concern them.

“The idea is to create momentum for some student-led organizing, which invites the attention of the larger community to issues that concern all of us," he said.

Adil used climate change, ecological degradation and fracking in Texas as examples of issues that need to be addressed, he said.

“Why not talk about it and build strategies to overturn those practices, because it concerns homeowners, it concerns people who are living here," Adil said. "All these issues are tied with the larger issue of political economy."

The workshops introduce a new framework of problems in systemic thinking, Adil said.

The students discussed various systems that exist in society during the workshop, such as the United States prison system, said Flora Brewer, urban planning and public policy doctoral student.

“The idea that we're trying to get at is we all live inside of systems, political systems, economic systems, social systems, environmental systems,” Brewer said. “We’re not always conscience of the operation of those systems all the time.”

About 30 percent of the U.S. population has a criminal record, Brewer said, which hurts society. The percentage is high because there are too many ways for an individual to be criminalized, she said.

U.S. society follows the broken window theory, history doctoral student Robert Caldwell said. The theory states that every small crime has to be policed or major crimes will come from them, he said.

After the workshop, the documentary “Boom Bust Boom” about the financial crash in 2008 was shown.

The Next System Project workshops will continue from 3:30 to 6 p.m. tomorrow in the College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs building Room 201.

@kathryncargo