Tarrant, Dallas counties report record-breaking single-day increase of over 600 new COVID-19 cases

Personnel with the Arlington Fire Department test a patient for COVID-19 on April 27 at The Parks Mall in Arlington. Tarrant County reported a single-day high of 605 new COVID-19 cases on Tuesday. 

Record numbers were seen across the state this week as both Tarrant and Dallas counties reported a single-day high of over 600 new COVID-19 cases.

On Tuesday, Dallas County reported 601 new cases and 20 deaths, while Tarrant County reported 605 new cases and 3 deaths — a record high at the time. Tarrant County set another high Wednesday, reporting 606 new cases.

There are over 34,000 confirmed cases between the two counties: 21,882 in Dallas County and 12,950 in Tarrant County.

Tarrant County reported its previous daily record of 521 on June 23, according to the county website. Since then, an ordinance has been put in place requiring face masks to be worn in all county businesses.

The ordinance was introduced Thursday — where it was reported that the county had surpassed 10,000 confirmed cases — and went into effect Friday. The ordinance remains in effect until Aug. 3.

Dallas County saw a previous high of 572 cases Monday. It was topped Tuesday with 601 cases, then the county saw an additional 544 Wednesday.

Because of the recent increase in cases, Gov. Greg Abbott temporarily paused plans to reopen Texas, ordered all bars to close and reduced restaurant capacity back to 50%.

As of Wednesday afternoon, there are 168,062 confirmed COVID-19 cases throughout the state, according to the Texas Health and Human Services COVID-19 tracker. Texas has seen a record-high increase in new cases for two consecutive days, reporting 6,975 Tuesday and 8,076 Wednesday.