covidfile (copy)

This illustration, created at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reveals ultrastructural morphology exhibited by coronaviruses. 

Tarrant County now has nine positive COVID-19 cases, Tarrant County Judge Glen Whitley said Wednesday at a press conference in Arlington.

Tarrant County Public Health confirmed the seventh and eight positive COVID-19 cases in a news release Wednesday. Details on the ninth case have not been released.

Cases detected at public health labs that use the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention assay are considered a confirmed positive as of Saturday, according to a Tarrant County press release.

The additional cases come after the Tarrant County Commissioners Court extended the local state of disaster for the county to 90 days Tuesday, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

The county has not yet confirmed where the seventh and eighth individuals are residents of. According to a Tarrant County press release Wednesday, one of the individuals traveled out of state and the travel history of the other individual is still pending. Both individuals are isolated at home after developing symptoms.

The sixth case is a Grand Prairie resident who contracted the virus in Tarrant County with no known exposure to a confirmed case and no recent travel history, according to a Tarrant County press release Tuesday. This is the first case of presumed local transmission of COVID-19 in Tarrant County, and the individual is isolated at home after developing symptoms.

The fifth case is a Tarrant County resident who contracted the virus on an out of state trip, developed symptoms after returning home and was later tested positive for the disease, according to a separate Tarrant County press release Monday. The individual was isolated at home after developing symptoms.

The fourth case is also a Tarrant County resident who was in close contact with an American Airlines pilot, who is an out-of-state resident that tested positive earlier in the week, according to a Tarrant County press release Saturday. The individual was tested in a private lab.

The individual was isolated at home when symptoms developed, and no one at DFW International Airport came in contact with the fourth patient since then, stated Tarrant County Public Health director Vinny Taneja, in the press release.

Currently, the cities of Arlington, Benbrook, White Settlement and Grand Prairie each have one confirmed COVID-19 case, and Southlake has two, according to a press release.

The first Tarrant County case is of an individual who traveled to Kentucky in late February, according to a previous Shorthorn article. The second case is of an individual who traveled overseas. The third case was the result of being a contact of a Collin County case.

There is currently no vaccine to prevent contracting COVID-19, according to the CDC website. The best way to prevent illness is to avoid being exposed to the virus.

@david___a23