An unidentified man is in custody after a fiery police chase ended on Interstate 30 and Cooper Street mid-day Friday.

The chase started in Fort Worth. The unidentified man, driving an 18-wheeler truck, rammed into at least five vehicles along the way, said Brad Perez, Fort Worth Police Department spokesman.

The Fort Worth and Arlington police departments arrived at the scene with SWAT teams.

The semitruck driver was driving erratically eastbound on I-30 from the downtown Fort Worth area, Perez said.

One car was in flames after the semitruck hit it. The male driver escaped the car after breaking a window and was taken to a hospital. He is being treated for nonfatal injuries, said Sgt. VaNessa Harrison, Arlington Police Department spokeswoman.

The semitruck driver’s motive to evade police is unknown, Perez said. The driver was not belligerent with officers.

I-30 westbound lanes have reopened, but eastbound lanes will stay closed for several hours, Perez said.

Perez said it is unknown whether the driver works for Pesado Transport, a trucking company in El Paso, or if the semitruck was stolen. The driver was carrying a large load of copper, Perez said.

Attempts to reach the trucking company were unsuccessful as of Friday afternoon.

@NardaLPerez