crime (copy)

This is a crime wrapup from Oct. 9 to Oct. 15.

Hazing

A male student reported on Oct. 9 that he was hazed by members of a campus fraternity, UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said in an email.

The case is listed as active, according to the UTA crime log.

Hazing that causes bodily injury is a class A misdemeanor, according to the Texas Education Code. It is punishable by a jail term not to exceed one year, a fine of up to $4,000 or both.

Indecent Assault 

A female student reported being inappropriately touched by a male student on Oct. 10, McCord said.

Indecent assault is considered a class A misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may receive a jail sentence of up to a year, a fine not to exceed $4,000 or both.

Criminal Mischief 

A staff member reported an unaffiliated male in a vacant apartment Sunday, McCord said.

Criminal mischief that causes damage valued between $100 and $750 is a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may face a fine not to exceed $2,000, a jail sentence not to exceed 180 days or both.

False Alarm or Report 

UTA Police received a report of a bomb threat posted on social media Monday. Immediate action was taken and no imminent threat to campus was found, McCord said.

A false alarm or report is a class A misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. It is punishable by a fine not to exceed $4,000, a jail term not to exceed one year or both.

Theft 

A male staff member reported the theft of a Samsung tablet Tuesday. The estimated value of the tablet was $250, McCord said.

Theft of items valued between $100 and $750 is considered a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may face a fine not to exceed $2,000, a jail sentence not to exceed 180 days or both.

Indecent Assault

A female student reported being inappropriately touched by a male student Wednesday, McCord said.

@david___a23