Voting for Fall 2019 Campus Elections to open Monday (copy)

Biochemistry freshman Priscilla Musa votes during the fall 2017 campus elections in The Gallery in the University Center. Student Governance will hold its campus elections completely online for the first time at UTA in response to COVID-19.

Student Governance will hold its campus elections completely online for the first time at UTA in response to COVID-19.

On March 17, UTA announced it would transition to online-only classes and cancel all campus events and activities for the remainder of the semester. Now, Student Governance has found a way to keep students involved and kick off its election campaigns Monday.

The online election season will include campaigns and voting. Chief Justice Sydney Rose said in an email that the process for moving the voting online was adapted from computer software already used to record voting in on-campus elections.

Students can vote online from April 13 to April 16 possibly through an emailed link, with results announced April 17, Rose said. How the results will be announced has not yet been determined. 

The available positions include Student Body president, Student Body vice president, student senators, Mr. and Ms. UTA, and UTA Ambassadors, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

The Election Supervisory Board has worked to get information on the candidates digitally and will provide it to students via the website and social media, Rose said.

“Campus Elections is our opportunity to participate in something to make our university a better place,” she said.

@Rimal_shambhavi