The Society for Social Justice for Women and Families will join in on the conversation about pro-choice versus pro-life on Monday, society President Prashant Hariharan said.

“We wanted to voice the pro-choice view through statistics,” Hariharan said.

Society treasurer Alexei Dukov said the group felt the pro-choice position of the abortion debate needed to be presented to students.

“We felt like there needs to be more of a discussion,” Dukov said. “We felt like it was unfair to have such a one-sided display that is attempting to sway the point of view of students who pass through. We hope to create a more fair and more informative dialogue by having the display.”

The Pro-Life Mavericks’ display featured 2,900 crosses placed across the Central Library mall symbolizing the number of “Americans who die every day in abortions,” according to posters shown with the organization’s display.

The display has been met with some protest from students throughout the week claiming it is insensitive.

Jenny Nguyen, president of Students for a Democratic Society, said she stood out in the rain with some members Friday to protest the display with a petition to ask the Pro-Life Mavericks to seize any future antiabortion displays.

“It’s not that we’re against people saying what’s on their mind, it’s just we think there’s a better way to for them to do so,” English junior Cody Needham said.

Dukov said the society plans to have representatives at a table by its display up to four times during the week.

The display will include posters with infographics and links to online resources that students can easily view as they pass by.

“For me an ideal response will be that people see these posters, and then they go back home and think about it and think about where they stand,” Hariharan said.

Software engineering sophomore Rosa Gandara said she can see both sides of the debate.

“It’s true that the women have the choice, but you’re also killing a life, really,” Gandara said. “It really just depends on how you look at it. I think it’s pretty good that they’re showing how both sides exist. You know, this is America. It’s kind of a, ‘Oh yeah you should be allowed to see both the good and the bad.’ ”

The society said they have permission to keep the display up for one week.

@ssorayah

sorayah.zahir@mavs.uta.edu