See the latest protest news for Arlington, Dallas and Fort Worth

• 0
  • 15 min to read

George Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, died May 25 in police custody in Minneapolis, Minnesota. Derek Chauvin, former Minneapolis police officer, pressed his knee into Floyd’s neck for almost nine minutes as the man struggled to breathe.

Chauvin, who is white, was arrested and charged with third-degree murder and second-degree manslaughter May 29.

In the days following Floyd’s death, thousands around the country protested in Minneapolis; Washington, D.C.; Los Angeles, California; Chicago, Illinois; and more, including protests in Dallas, Fort Worth and Houston. Demonstrations were also seen around the world in Mexico, Brazil, Europe, Syria, New Zealand and more.

Protesters demanded justice for Floyd and others victimized by police brutality.

Mark Napieralski, Progressive Student Union president, speaks during a protest sponsored by PSU on June 18 in Arlington. The demonstration called for community control of police.

Arlington NAACP member Channing Hill leads protesters in a chant during an Arlington NAACP rally and march June 13 in Arlington. Protesters chanted the names "George Floyd" and "Breonna Taylor" among others as they marched.

A protester carries a Black Lives Matter flag during a demonstration against police brutality outside the Tarrant County Courthouse on June 11 in Fort Worth. Protesters marched around downtown, stopping at several restaurants and chanting at people along the way.

Psychology senior LaDarius Sanders kneels during a protest against racial injustice on the UTA campus June 8 in Arlington. Organizers asked participants to kneel and raise a fist for eight minutes and 46 seconds — the same amount of time George Floyd was pinned to the ground.

Cyclists participate in a ride of silence in memory of George Floyd on June 6 in Dallas. Cyclists rode 8.46 miles because Floyd was pinned to the ground for eight minute and 46 seconds.

Protesters gather outside City Hall during a demonstration against police brutality June 4 in Fort Worth. Several protesters spoke to council members during the citizen comments section of the meeting.

Arlington resident Olivia Smith and Arlington Police officer William Bill hug during a demonstration against police brutality June 2 in Arlington. Smith said she could see in his eyes and emotions that the moment was genuine.

A protester throws a rock as Arlington Police back away during a demonstration against police brutality June 1 in Arlington. Arlington Police worked to block traffic as demonstrators marched through the city.