Student Government encourages student voter participation

Then business freshman Keybirlin Perdomo places her voter registration card inside the box provided by then Student Congress Sept. 14, 2016 on the University Center mall.

Just short of its goal, Student Congress increased the number of college students who will hit the presidential election polls in November.

A total of 760 students registered to vote on campus with the help of Student Congress following the Oct. 11 national voter registration deadline, said Samantha Sorensen, SC external relations director.

“I know that this has been our most successful semester of voter registration,” Sorensen said.

Even though 760 students registered through Student Congress, the number could be larger, considering over 2,000 voter registration cards were distributed, Sorensen said.

Since Sept. 19, Student Congress has hosted tabling events twice a week on campus and informed students about voting by handing out fliers and posting on social media.

Sorensen said 217 students registered to vote Monday with the help of SC senators and by hosting a Maverick Opinion Board during the tabling event.

“Which is actually a really impressive number for just one day,” Sorensen said.

Monday was also the last day Student Congress accepted registration cards, which were postmarked and mailed Tuesday, Sorensen said.

SC aimed to help about 1,000 students register to vote, said Justin Depperschmidt, former SC external relations director, in a previous Shorthorn article. 

Even though the total number didn’t entirely reach the intended goal, Sorensen said starting the conversation and informing others outweighs the number of students who actually registered to vote.

Early voting is from Oct. 24 to Nov. 4, and Election Day is Nov. 8. 

@nicholastarrant