An all-time record of 28 teams are participating in this year’s Cyclethon in honor of World Heart Day, said Lindsay Lookingbill, assistant director of fitness for Campus Recreation.

“It just kind of happened by accident that we got the 28 teams,” Lookingbill said. “We had 25 bikes, I know we had two ergometers, and then we added one bike from upstairs.”

Teams cycle continuously for 12 hours and collect money in jars that will be donated to the American Heart Association along with the team entrance fees. Each team member takes a 30-minute shift and receives a T-shirt when it is completed.

This year, Health Services provided different services such as blood pressure tests, cooking demos and fitness-based games, said Latoya Oduniyi, health promotion and substance abuse educator.

“We partnered with the [Maverick Activities Center] to bring you the World Heart Day Cyclethon, that’s a collaboration that motivates students to be more heart healthy,” Oduniyi said.

The event started at 10 a.m. with an information interactive fair on nutrition, diabetes, heart health and fitness, Oduniyi said. The cyclethon started at noon and will last until midnight, and the team that raises the most money gets a prize package put together by Health Services and the American Heart Association.

“It’s fun because it’s a way to get students active and also teach them about heart health,” Lookingbill said.

About $700 to $800 has been raised from entry fees, Lookingbill said.

“It’s great to see everybody become more aware of this event every year,” Oduniyi said.

Oduniyi said she is hoping to raise over $1,500 this year, and to break this year’s record next year.

Media technology junior Tuan Luu has participated for the past two years as a free agent, but this year he participated with Lambda Phi Epsilon.

“I’m just trying to be healthy and to promote World Heart Day,” Luu said.

Luu was part of the team’s second 30-minute shift, and said he plans on participating again next year.

Finance junior Rachael Na participated in the cyclethon for the first time this year, and said she plans to do it again.

Na was part of the Alpha Kappa Delta Phi team, and said she will be more prepared with a pillow for next year because the seats made her sore.

“I’ve heard a lot about it, and it’s for a good cause,” Na said.

@PerlaCabrera_

pcabrera@mavs.uta.edu

@ellorie_marie

Click here to report an accessibility issue or call (817) 272-3188.