You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Political science professor: Trump won debate, Clinton will win election

Campaign 2016 Debate

Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton listens to Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump during the second presidential debate at Washington University in St. Louis, Sunday, Oct. 9, 2016.

An estimated 66.5 million people watched the second debate between Republican presidential nominee Donald Trump and Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton Sunday, according to Nielsen.

The nominees took part in a town hall-style debate, taking questions from both moderators and undecided voters.

Trump won the debate, but it won’t matter, said Allan Saxe, political science associate professor.

“Hillary Clinton has more money to spend, the media, entire Democratic Party unified, strong organization in states, many minority groups, academic world, up against a very divided Republican Party,” Saxe said in an email. “She wins!”

The first debate reached a total of 84 million viewers, more than for any other presidential debate on record. The previous record of 80.6 million was set during the only debate between Jimmy Carter and Ronald Reagan in 1980.

The candidates debated on a variety of topics, from the Syrian crisis to energy policy.

The final question was from an audience member, who asked what they each respected about their opponents.

Clinton offered praise for Trump’s grown children. “I don’t agree with nearly anything else he says or does, but I do respect that,” she said.

Trump described his opponent as a fighter: “She doesn’t quit. She doesn’t give up. I respect that.”

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

@Its_brittany101