Painting reported stolen from Fine Arts Building gallery

A staff member reported this untitled painting by John Hernandez stolen Wednesday from The Gallery at UTA in the Fine Arts Building. Created with acrylic paint on paper, this 11 3/8 inch by 8 1/2 inch work is worth an estimated $1,450.

A female staff member reported a painting worth $1,450 and made in 1980 missing Wednesday from The Gallery at UTA, said Mike McCord, UTA Police acting assistant chief.

The painting was a part of an exhibition titled “Whew… That’s a Relief! The Madcap World of John Hernandez, 1978-2015,” said Benito Huerta, director of the gallery.

The charge for stealing the painting would be theft between $750 to $2,500, which is a Class A misdemeanor, McCord said.

A Class A misdemeanor is punishable by a fine of no more than $4,000, jail time for no more than a year, or both a fine and jail time, according to the Texas Penal Code.

There is surveillance footage from the building that will be reviewed as a part of the investigation, McCord said.

The untitled painting was created with acrylic paint on paper, Huerta said in an email. It is 11 3/8 inches by 8 1/2 inches, he said.

The exhibition was curated by Huerta, according to a press release from the gallery. The exhibition includes items on loan from public and private collections and museums, according to the press release, and it illustrates a progression of ideas and techniques that Huerta has admired and followed since his first studio visit with the artist in 1985.

The exhibition was installed Jan. 25 and will end March 30, according to the press release.

@victoriaadelita