Dancing, singing and skits were on display in the University Center Monday.

This year’s One Night in Asia event brought out multiple UTA Asian and Indian organizations to perform for hundreds of students. The event is part of Asian Heritage Month, which began Nov. 1 and ends Nov. 30.

The event gets the energy started for the rest of the month, said Kaitlyn Lightfoot, Asian Heritage Month chairwoman.

“It’s the event that everyone looks for every year,” she said. “It kind of brings that really good beginning of just, this excitement, this culture, everything about Asian Heritage Month that kind of makes it live.”

Asian Heritage Month is important for students so they can gain an understanding and respect for Asian heritage, Lightfoot said.

“We have a diverse campus, but it brings that, it brings this aspect of it that shows, ‘Yeah, we’re a diverse campus, and look at this; this is this culture, and it’s beautiful,'” she said.

Organizers expected 600 students to attend the event, and they reached the maximum capacity of the Bluebonnet Ballroom, Lightfoot said. Exact attendance numbers weren't available at press time.

The Bluebonnet Ballroom banquet room has a maximum capacity of 528 people, according to the UTA website.

The event was made into a competition to make it better than it already was, Lightfoot said.

“Really making kind of this tense atmosphere of, like, you’re really going out and you’re not just performing, but you’re competing,” she said.

Lightfoot said making the event a competition brought a great response from the performers and audience.

“They loved that little bit of excitement that there wasn’t before,” she said.

The Fine Arts Society of India won first place in the small group category, which was 5 people or fewer, and the Indian Cultural Council won first place in the large group category, which was six or more people. Both teams won trophies. 

Information systems junior Anthony Nguyen said he thought that it being a competition was cool because they hadn’t done it before. 

Linguistics junior Brittany Cano said she attended the event to show support for her friends who performed.

Cano said the event was more cultural this year than in past years.

“It’s a really good refresher when you see them all come out and do more traditional things,” she said.

Nguyen said his favorite performances were Lambda Phi Epsilon and the Filipino Student Association.

“They both were really in sync," he said. "It was really hyped. Everybody loved it,” he said.

Students like the event because it shows a part of campus that students don’t get to see often, Lightfoot said.

“Whether they want to show, ‘This is my culture,’ or ‘This is who I am,’ it brings them this aspect that they get to get that void out and get to show everyone on campus,” she said.

Lightfoot said the focus of this year’s Asian Heritage Month is focusing on every part of Asia and expanding students horizons.

“I guess getting the diversity, the knowledge and the culture out,” she said.

@victoriaadelita

victoria.cortez@mavs.uta.edu