A potato left in the microwave caused an evacuation at Nedderman Hall.

UTA Patrol Sgt. James Randles said a staff member from within Nedderman Hall reported smelling smoke on the second floor. University spokeswoman Kristin Sullivan said that dispatchers set off the fire alarm themselves after the report was made. The alarm went off at 11:05 a.m., the building was evacuated and the Arlington Fire Department arrived shortly after.

At 11:46 a.m., after the potato was found, students were allowed back in the building, Sullivan said.

Engineering graduate student Mitul Niaike said that he’s never witnessed an evacuation going off in Nedderman hall, even after being here for a couple of years.  

This is a developing story and will be updated as necessary.

@MadelynEdward13

madelyn.edwards@mavs.uta.edu

Like our work? Don’t steal it! Share the link or email us for information on how to get permission to use our content.

Click here to report an accessibility issue.

Load comments