crime

This is a crime wrapup from Feb. 26 to March 1.

Duty on striking unattended vehicle

A male student reported that someone struck his gray Toyota Camry on Feb. 28 and did not leave information while it was parked in Lot 49, said UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord in an email. The front bumper and driver’s headlight were partially torn off the vehicle.

According to the UTA crime log, the case is active.

Duty on striking an unattended vehicle is considered a class C misdemeanor if the damage is valued less than $200 or a class B misdemeanor if the value of the damage is estimated to be $200 or more, according to the Texas Transportation Code.

If a class C misdemeanor, violators may face a fine up to up to $500, according to the Texas Penal Code. If a class B misdemeanor, violators may face a fine up to $2,000, a jail sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

DWI/Duty on striking unattended vehicle

Officers were dispatched to investigate reckless driving in the Park South parking garage Feb. 29, where they found a parked vehicle that had been struck, McCord said. Officers located the other vehicle involved in the crash.

The driver, a male student, admitted to crashing into the parked car and leaving the scene. Officers determined he was driving while intoxicated. He was arrested and taken to the Arlington Police Department jail.

Driving while intoxicated is considered a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may face a fine of up to $2,000, a jail sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

Public intoxication

Officers were dispatched to investigate suspicious persons stumbling near Cooper Street on March 1, McCord said. Two male students were determined to be intoxicated and were arrested.

Public intoxication is considered a class C misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may face a fine of up to $500.

Assault causing bodily harm

A male student reported that another male student bent his finger backward Feb. 1 after he pointed it at him during an argument over access to a badminton court, McCord said.

Assault is considered a class A misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators can face a jail sentence not exceeding one year, a fine of up to $4,000 or both.

Harassment

A female student reported receiving harassing calls or texts from a male student Feb. 26, McCord said. According to the crime log, the case is active.

Harassment is considered a class B misdemeanor, according to the Texas Penal Code. Violators may face a fine of up to $2,000, a jail sentence not exceeding 180 days or both.

@colby_farr