Laundry 101: Tips for on-campus washing

Tips for doing laundry on campus include not doing it on the weekends, setting timers, or doing it at night. 

Deciding whether to start on homework or start on laundry could sometimes be troublesome, but some students have figured out an easier way to maintain grades as well as clean clothes.

During the week, some students are busy with classes and jobs. Focusing on laundry can be put on the back burner and as a result, scrambling for a decent outfit can turn into a daily routine.

A few students share tips on when and how to do laundry as a busy student. 

WHEN: 

The weekends are not the best time to do laundry, said Cole Perrine, film and video freshman, in an email.

“Everyone does their laundry on weekends, so you can’t expect to find an open washer on a Saturday or Sunday,” Perrine said.

Tuesday and Wednesday afternoons are the best times to go, he said.

On the other hand, nursing freshman Jetmira Ademaj said, in an email, early Friday mornings or late Sunday nights are the best times to do her laundry.

“It’s about the only time where I don’t have class, plans, or am working on homework,” she said.

She suggested trying to find the best time that fits a person’s schedule, but also remember to avoid the influx of people who also need to do laundry.

There are only two washing machines per floor where Perrine lives. When he’s lucky, he finds himself using both washers on the second and third floors of his building, he said.

Normally it takes about 45 to 50 minutes to complete each wash cycle, he said.

Both Ademaj and Perrine suggested keeping up with the laundry time. 

“Sometimes people will even remove your clothes and leave them on the side if you don’t grab them, so they just sit out in the open,” Ademaj said.

Perrine said to best conquer that hassle, set a timer on your phone and as soon as a washer is done, make your way back to put another load in, before someone else does. He described a situation when he took someone’s laundry out of the washer to wash his own clothes. When he came back, the owner of the clothes had taken his clothes out of the washer to wash another load of laundry. 

“There was no anger or disrespect involved, we didn’t even speak a word,” he said. “We had an understanding, you gotta do what you gotta do to get the dirt out of your Levi’s.”

HOW:

The first step to washing on campus is checking to see if there is a machine available, Ademaj said.

The next step is separating clothing based on color, Perrine said.

“Colors and darks are one pile, whites and khakis are another,” he said.

Perrine typically has four total loads to wash, including his towels, he said.

“It takes hours when you have multiple loads and towels,” he said.

Using Tide Pods or other liquid detergent pouches make it easier, he said.

“You can keep them in a little bag that takes up less space than a bottle of detergent may, and you just toss one in on top of your load,” he said. “It’s pretty convenient.”

Rather than dropping socks and underwear on the way to the laundry room, laundry bags help to carry clothes back and forth, he said.

Perrine said doing laundry on a college campus is ruthless, but it can get better. 

“Once you get a system in place, it’s not so hard,” he said. 

@DianteMarigny