crime

UTA Police responded to multiple crimes including theft, burglary of a vehicle and burglary of a habitation while students were on break. This is a wrapup of crime that occurred from Dec. 12, 2019, to Jan. 16, 2020.

Impersonating a Public Servant

Impersonation of a public servant was reported Jan. 16 and occurred that same day, according to the UTA crime log. UTA Police Capt. Mike McCord said a male staff member was victim to a phone scam.

He said the loss totaled around $4,900. The case was listed as suspended because of no further leads.

“We urge our community to be cautious when receiving unsolicited calls from anyone claiming any unpaid debt that can be paid through gift cards or similar forms of payment,” McCord said. “Legitimate organizations won’t do business in this manner.”

He advised hanging up and contacting the organization through verified contact information and not the number listed on caller ID.

The Texas Penal Code states impersonation of a public servant is a third-degree felony and is punishable by a jail term between two to 10 years, and may include a fine of up to $10,000.

Theft

A female staff member reported the theft of university equipment Jan. 15 at Trimble Hall, according to the crime log. McCord said the equipment was valued at about $9,000.

The crime log listed the case as active.

According to the Texas Penal Code, theft between $2,500 and $30,000 is a state jail felony. A state jail felony is punishable by a fine of up to $10,000, a jail term between 180 days and two years or both.

Burglary of a vehicle

The crime log reported an attempted university vehicle burglary Jan. 13 at the Environmental Health and Safety office. McCord said a male staff member reported the attempt, though no property was taken. The crime log listed the case as active.

According to the Texas Penal Code, burglary of a vehicle is a class A misdemeanor. A class A misdemeanor is punishable by a jail term of up to a year, a fine of up to $4,000 or both.

Burglary of a vehicle

In a separate incident later that day, a male reported a burglary of his vehicle near Centennial Court Apartments. Various tools were taken that were valued at about $850, McCord said. The crime log listed the case as active.

Burglary of Habitation

A male student reported his residence was burglarized Dec. 16, 2019, at The Heights on Pecan apartments. McCord said a gaming console was taken from the home, valued at about $390. The crime log lists the case as cleared because there were no further leads at the time.

Burglary of a habitation is a second degree felony. A second degree felony is punishable by a jail term between two and 20 years, a fine of up to $10,000 or both, according to the Texas Penal Code.

@colby_farr