Former Fort Worth police officer Aaron Dean indicted on murder charge for Atatiana Jefferson’s death

Mug shot of Aaron Dean, UTA graduate and former Fort Worth Police officer. Dean was indicted on a murder charge on Dec. 20, according to Tarrant County court records. 

Aaron Dean, UTA graduate and former Fort Worth police officer, was indicted on a murder charge on Dec. 20, according to Tarrant County court records.

Dean is accused of fatally shooting 28-year-old Atatiana Jefferson in her home on Oct. 12, 2019, according to the court records. He was arrested two days later for her murder.

Police received an open structure call at the 1200 block of East Allen Avenue, according to a previous Shorthorn article. Dean was one of the officers dispatched.

Officers searched the perimeter of the house and Dean went to the backyard, according to the arrest warrant affidavit.

He then shined his flashlight into a back window, saw a person inside and gave orders to, “Put your hands up, show me your hands!” but did not identify himself as police, according to the affidavit. Dean then shot Jefferson, who died at the scene.

Dean graduated from UTA in spring 2011 with a Bachelor of Science degree in physics.