75 students volunteered for Super Service Saturday.

Mission Arlington, the Community Gardens, the cemetery at Doug Russell Park, the Central Arlington Public Library and the Salvation Army building on 1301 E Abram St. all saw an increase of workplace productivity Saturday morning because of UTA student volunteers. 

UTA Volunteers president Michael Ayala said this year people wanted to have more project sites where the volunteers could reach, as opposed  to last year where the volunteers only went to Mission Arlington. Last year’s event was called Mavericks on a Mission.

“There was more to choose from and we made more of an impact with more agencies today,” the broadcast junior said. “We changed the name up because we added more sites. Super Service Saturday is a bigger project encompassing more of a reach this year.”

Ayala was a site leader at Mission Arlington on Saturday.

The 35 volunteers with Ayala at Mission Arlington helped email out donation requests to the community in the metroplex.

“That was a pretty big task because there were so many contacts and zip codes to email to, and I think we made a good impact today because the 35 people that were there barely finished in the three hours we were there,” Ayala said. “We couldn’t imagine seeing four people stuck doing that.”

Communications graduate student Rebekah Karth volunteered at the Arlington Public Library and said she learned a lot about the resources that the library had to offer.

“There was more than one volunteer who said that they were going to go back and get a library card," she said.

Karth said she thought the library was understaffed and it needed more volunteers. 

Volunteers at the library shelved books and audio tapes.

Karth said her favorite part about volunteering Saturday was seeing people wanting to go back and help out more at the library. 

“Seeing people say ‘Hey, I want to do this again sometime’ was pretty neat,” she said.

Nursing freshman Sonia Fraide said she came out to volunteer because she likes helping people.

Fraide helped move boxes, furniture, tables and chairs into a storage area of the building at the Salvation Army. 

Fraide said she was physically exhausted after moving multiple items.

“It was worth it, though,” she said.

Yessenia Navarro, UTA Volunteer’s Youth and Education director,  helped resurface the walkway with new dirt and planted pot plants at the Community Gardens on campus.

Navarro said the light rain that occurred Saturday morning didn’t bother the volunteers at all.

“We just kept on going while it was raining because we knew it was for a good cause,” Navarro said.

Ayala said his favorite part of the day was getting to know the new faces that volunteered. 

“There were a lot of people who volunteered for the first time with us,” Ayala said. “I liked hearing their storiesabout what got them interested in volunteering today and working in a group and learning from each other.”

Super Service Saturday was programmed by UTA volunteers and was sponsored by the Division of the Student Affairs.

The next volunteer project for UTA Volunteers is Sept. 1 at Mission Arlington.

@TravisDetherage

william.detherage@mavs.uta.edu