Arlington to conduct targeted ground spraying following 3 confirmed West Nile virus mosquito samples

Arlington will begin targeted spraying in the city following three confirmed positive samples of West Nile virus. 

Targeted ground spraying for West Nile virus will occur in six Arlington locations Wednesday and Thursday after confirmed positive mosquito samples, according to a city news release.

Spraying will be conducted in five areas with confirmed virus presence including Park Hill Drive at Mossy Oak Street, Cooper Street at Lovers Lane, Forest Edge Drive at Park Row Drive, Douglas Court at Cooper Street, and Road to Six Flags Street and Ballpark Way.

A positive case of the virus was recorded in the city of Pantego on Arlington’s city border, resulting in an additional ground spraying at Miller Lane at Pantego Drive, in accordance with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention recommendation.

The city of Arlington previously conducted targeted ground spraying in three other locations on July 1.

Contractors will conduct two consecutive nights of spraying between 9 p.m. and 5 a.m., weather permitting.

Spraying is intended to “knock down” the known virus-infected adult mosquito population as quickly as possible before the weekend, when people are more likely to be outdoors.

Contractors will use an ultralow volume application of a water-based permethrin production in specific areas where deploying larvicide and other measures have not proven effective.

The city of Arlington has conducted routine trapping and deployed larvicide in certain locations since the beginning of mosquito season. Contractors have also surveyed low-lying areas for standing water.

The public should also drain standing water in yards and neighborhoods where mosquitoes can breed, including old tires, flowerpots and clogged rain gutters. Mosquitoes may develop in any water stagnant for more than three or four days.

No specific risks to animals or the environment from target ground spraying are expected, and no special precautions are required as the pesticide breaks down and produces little residual effects.

While outdoors, individuals are encouraged to dress in long sleeves and pants while spraying thin clothing with insect repellent containing the ingredient DEET.

People with chemical sensitivities or breathing conditions such as asthma can reduce exposure to a pesticide by staying indoors during the application period.

@david___a23