Arlington police officer shot while serving warrant near UTA

An Arlington Police Department officer was shot while assisting Saginaw Police in serving an arrest warrant for murder at the 400 block of Summit Avenue near UTA at about 11 p.m. Monday.

The man, Joel Conner McCommon, 23, was also struck, said Sgt. Damon Ing, Saginaw Police Department public informations officer. The man was taken to the hospital and is under police custody. The condition of the man was not known at the time, Ing said.

When officers arrived at the location in an attempt to contact McCommon, the man began firing at an Arlington Police officer, Arlington Police Sgt. VaNessa Harrison said. The officer was struck but still able to return fire on the man, Harrison said.

“He actually fired a round from inside of the location at the officer,” she said.

Police could not confirm where the officer was shot, but he was in good condition, Harrison said. The officer has worked for Arlington Police for about 3 years, she said.

Ing said the department had received an arrest warrant earlier in the evening for McCommon. He is wanted in the investigation of the homicide of Saginaw teenager Jordan Miles, he said.

Investigators had been tracking down leads and talking to witnesses, which led them to the location with an arrest warrant for McCommon, Ing said.

“For now, restoration is very important,” Harrison said. “We’re still asking that the community keep our officer in their thoughts and prayers.”

@victoriaadelita