The 2026 World Cup could come to Arlington, after being selected as 1 of 16 potential host cities

"Sky Mirror," a sculpture by Anish Kapoor, is seen in front of AT&T Stadium on June 6, 2019. The stainless steel structure stands over three stories tall and 35 feet across the face.

The 2026 FIFA World Cup could come to Arlington after AT&T stadium was chosen as one of the 23 possible host locations across Mexico, Canada and the United States.

The selected host cities are expected to be announced in late 2020 to early 2021, said Gina Miller, FC Dallas vice president of media and communication, at the Jan. 28 Arlington City Council meeting.

This will be the first time that the world cup is simultaneously hosted by three countries. It is expected to take place in 16 cities across North America, 10 of which will be stateside, Miller said. Atlanta, Denver, Los Angeles, Miami and other cities are also in the running.  

There will be 80 matches played in total, with the U.S. hosting 60, and Canada and Mexico hosting 10 matches apiece.

“We feel like we’re going to be in a perfect position to host some of those marque matches in 2026,” Miller said.

Miller said potential host cities will be visited in March and November, with former U.S. Soccer president Dan Flynn leading the process.

@bjgarcia27

Tags