Arlington City Council authorizes 10-year agreement with UTA for a new community design/build center

Arlington City Council members and attendees get ready before the meeting Feb. 25 in City Hall. The council authorized a ten-year lease agreement with UTA on a community design/build center.

Arlington City Council authorized a 10-year lease agreement with UTA on a community design/build center Tuesday that would allow for community projects.

The center will be located down the street from UTA at 200 North Cooper St., according to a city staff report. College of Architecture, Planning and Public Affairs and College of Engineering faculty received grant funds through the UT System’s Science and Technology Acquisition and Retention program for the center.

UTA will spend $400,000 to renovate the building per the agreement, and for each year of the 10-year lease, UTA will perform a free project benefiting the Arlington community, according to the city staff report. Each project would range from $20,000 to $50,000.

UTA faculty and students will use the space to test new materials, have exhibitions and build full-scale prototypes. The center will include design studios where classes will be held, along with offices and workshop areas for construction needs.

Partners from the professional, governmental, nonprofit and industrial design and construction sectors will also work with the center on projects, according to the city staff report.

@bjgarcia27