The jury unanimously found former Dallas Police Officer Amber Guyger guilty in the murder of 26-year-old Botham Jean.

Guyger fatally shot Botham Jean on Sept. 6, 2018, according to a previous Shorthorn article. She said she entered his apartment thinking it was hers and shot him in the torso.

She was arrested Sept. 9, 2018, on a manslaughter charge, but she was later indicted on a murder charge, according to the article.

Judge Tammy Kemp announced the jury’s decision Tuesday morning. The prosecution began the sentence hearing by calling Botham Jean’s mother, Allison Jean, to the stand for testimony.

Allison Jean said her son grew up in Saint Lucia with two parents and two siblings. He went to elementary and high school before applying to Harding University in Arkansas.

Botham Jean visited the university campus in April 2011 with Allison Jean and immediately made friends, she said.

She said she knew she had to find a way to pay for her son to attend the university, even if she thought it was expensive.

As the middle child, Botham Jean was the glue between her three kids, Allison Jean said. One of the reasons he attended Harding University is because he wanted to be closer to his sister.

Allison Jean said she had returned to work in January 2019, but it was very difficult. She said she was sick often.

“I have to try to keep the family together because everybody’s in pain,” she said.

Botham Jean’s sister Alissa Findley said her family hasn’t been the same since he died. She said her mother cries a lot more.

“We try our best to comfort each other, but it’s really hard,” Findley said.

Prosecution also called one of Botham Jean’s coworkers from his internship at PricewaterhouseCoopers and a Dallas Police officer who testified last week.

Prosecution displayed a preliminary interview Guyger completed for the Dallas Police Department. On the form, Guyger listed that she had applied to Fort Worth Police and had smoked marijuana three times.

Some of Guyger’s social media posts and text messages were also displayed and read by prosecution as well.

The jury will continue hearing testimony Wednesday morning.

@colby_farr