Ray Queen uses glass and art to help battle post-traumatic stress disorder.

Queen said when he found the glass department at UTA, it was like coming home. It helped him find his voice and feel human again. Queen is a featured artist in the upcoming glass art exhibit.

The featured student artist is an art senior and a wounded Army veteran who served in Iraq and learned to blow glass to overcome challenges he faced.

UTA will host its annual Glass Art Sale and Show from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday in the Studio Arts Center. Hundreds of items handcrafted by students, faculty and staff in the glass art program will be available to the public. A silent auction will take place at 2 p.m., with silent auction bids from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.

Computer science junior Jacob Starkey said he’s been to and enjoyed many art exhibits in Dallas, but he has never been to one at UTA. Starkey said he is excited to check out the exhibit and see what talent the school has.

The event will also include live demonstrations of glass-casting, glass-blowing and other art techniques.

Justin Ginsberg, glass area coordinator and assistant professor, said they are excited and honored to show what the students have accomplished this year.

Ginsberg said this work is their passion, and it really comes through in the art and in their commitment to helping the artists who will come after them at UTA.

@swebbyyy