The 2016 Lone Star Music Series kicks off at Lone Star Park with the Randy Rogers Band on Friday and Dwight Yoakman on Saturday.

Mechanical engineering freshman Abdallah Shishani and public relations junior Alex Perdomo both agree that country music and summer go hand-in-hand.

The series is a summer country music event that consists of six shows from April to July, according to the website.

The concerts begin after the horse races held at Lone Star Park in Grand Prairie. Visitors can enjoy a night of races and a concert or come just for the country music.

The concert kicks off after the final race, according to the website.

Shishani said he first began listening to country music in middle school.

He began playing it on the radio because of its feel-good vibe.

He said now he listens to it year-round.

The high turn-out and outdoor setting make the concert really exciting, Shishani said.

Perdomo said she went to the music series in high school and could not contain her excitement when the Eli Young Band played “Guinevere.”

“Country music can be upbeat and fun but can also have a seriousness to it,” Perdomo said.

Shishani said he recommends going during the horse races to chill on the grass before the concert.

“Go with a big group and get ready to have fun,” Shishani said. “You can’t have a bad time.”

As for suggested music, Shishani recommends listening to “Let Me Down Easy” by Billy Currington, and Perdomo recommends “I Can Take It From Here” by Chris Young.

The event is open to people 18 and up.

Persons under 18 must be accompanied by a legal guardian 30 years or older.

Gates open at 5:30 p.m., and the first live race begins at 7:05 p.m. Post-race concerts are free with $5 general admission to the live racing prior to 8:30 p.m. or $20 after then, according to the website.

@arianamariel_