Princess Peach, Link, Wario, Zelda, Kirby, Pac-Man. The names sound familiar to the average gamer, but soon there will be a new level of familiarity with these and plenty other characters. The new Super Smash Bros. game will hit the Nintendo 3DS on Friday, and has long time players excited for the next saga. 

Business sophomore Aden Shank, maker of the UTA Smash Bros. page and long time Super Smash Bros. player, has been playing the Smash Bros. games since they started on the Nintendo 64. Though the N64 version of Super Smash Bros. was the first time he played the game, he didn’t own any game in the series until he got a Nintendo GameCube and played Super Smash Bros. Melee. It has been his favorite game ever since.   

“It’s a crossover fighting game by Nintendo that’s made to have an ‘easy to learn, hard to master’ game play, which allows it to be really accessible to almost anyone because of how simple it is to learn, but also complicated enough in the game mechanics that advanced players can still find entertaining,” he said.

Super Smash Bros. started small, with only 12 playable characters for the N64 in 1999. It was only released in Japan, but gained so much success in Japan that it was released overseas later that year. Super Smash Bros. Melee was introduced on the Nintendo GameCube in 2001, and in seven years time, Super Smash Bros. Brawl was released in 2008 on the Wii. 

Shank explains that the differences in Melee and Brawl are the speed of the games. For Shank, Brawl moved a little slower and the characters seemed “floaty,” while Melee was fast-paced, responsive and had better mechanics.

“In the newer one, Brawl, they slowed down the tempo to make it easier for newer people,” he said. “I wasn’t a fan of it, but it wasn’t a bad game. When I played Brawl, it felt like it was lagging because I had been practicing Melee for so many years.”

The new Super Smash Bros. game will introduce some new features and even allows players to add Miis to the game. Miis are the created characters used for some Wii games. From 12 characters on the N64 to 49 characters on the 3DS and Wii U, players will play through a myriad of characters, both old and new. 

“For some players, it’s been a long time coming,” international business senior Carlos Morales said. “I’m personally excited for Pac-Man and Mega Man.”

Even with the franchise’s huge following, there are some gamers who haven’t played the games yet, but will finally have the chance to with this new release. 

Shank feels that Super Smash Bros. is a tradition people of all ages grow up with. 

“The community and the culture have really grown because Smash Bros. is kind of a tradition,” he said. “I’m a sophomore in college now. The last game that came out, I was in eighth grade. This is a big deal and another one isn’t going to come out until a new generation of consoles comes out. It’ll be a while before it happens again.”

Super Smash Bros. for the Wii U will be released later during the holiday season.  

@Andrea TheMoor

andrea.fisher@mavs.uta.edu