Over 46 billion different body types exist throughout the world, said Sarai Stuart, naturopath doctor and holistic nutritionist.

Stuart said a person’s nutritional needs depend on individual factors.

People tend to overeat grains, which may lead to health problems, she said. One serving of grains such as alcohol, corn and potatoes should suffice.

Dairy also presents digestive issues, Stuart said. Too much of either grains or dairy may negatively affect bones and joints.

Not only should people eat their vegetables, but also cut back on junk or heavily processed foods, Marion Nestle said.

Nestle blogs at foodpolitics.com. She is a Paulette Goddard professor of nutrition, food studies and public health at New York University.

Evidence supports a largely plant-based diet is good for health, Nestle said. In addition to being high in nutrients, it also helps cut calories.

A healthy meal plan balances vegetables, fruits, lean protein and whole grains, said Stacie Ellis, registered dietitian for Campus Recreation.

Stuart suggested beginning the day with water with lemon juice to jump-start metabolism. Fruit and eggs mixed with leafy vegetables make a nutritious breakfast, she said. Unsalted nuts make for a good snack choice, and dinner should be the lightest meal.

A person’s stomach is about the size of his or her fist, Stuart said. If they cup their hands together pinky-to-pinky to form a bowl, that is the ideal serving size for one meal.

People should limit their alcohol and caffeine intake and stay hydrated by drinking fluids like water, herbal tea and vegetable juice, she said.

Kinesiology sophomore Maria Belloti said she plans her meals based off the necessary macromolecules: lipids, proteins, carbohydrates and nucleic acids.

Belloti prefers tea in the morning and often makes smoothies with banana, strawberry, pineapple, kale and spinach to take to school.

Staying fit and nourished is a priority, because it makes her feel good and boosts her confidence and cognition while improving her sleeping patterns and mood, Belloti said.

Because she lifts weights regularly, Belloti makes sure to eat an adequate amount of protein, carbohydrates and good fats, she said.

Food is one of life’s greatest pleasures, and healthy foods ought to be delicious, Nestle said. Learning to cook can be fun and cost-efficient.

However, making healthy changes doesn’t mean people have to completely give up a food, Stuart said. Begin with small steps by being more mindful and aware of the food products consumed.

@RunReneHua