The Zeta Tau Alpha sorority has taken advantage of the power of homemade treats for its bake sale benefitting Think Pink Foundation, which promotes breast cancer awareness.

The event, which lasted from 11:30 a.m. until 1:30 p.m. today on the University Center mall, is a part of Derby Days, said undeclared freshman and Zeta Tau Alpha sister Jaclyn Engel.

Derby Days is a weeklong philanthropy event put on by the Sigma Chi fraternity during which the Alpha Chi Omega, Delta Zeta, Delta Delta Delta and Zeta Tau Alpha sororities compete in daily activities for points, said Jamey Taylor, Sigma Chi brotherhood chairman and aerospace engineering senior. The Derby Days winner will be announced Friday at a fraternity party hosted by Sigma Chi.

All proceeds from Derby Days go toward the Hunstman Cancer Institute, he said.

The Zeta Tau Alpha sisters moved from the Central Library mall to the University Center mall in an attempt to increase sales, said nursing junior and Zeta Tau Alpha Think Pink chair Sheridan Barrow.

“There’s already been an improvement from last week,” Barrow said. By 12:45 p.m., she said the sisters had already earned $50 more than the week prior.

The Zeta Tau Alpha sisters plan on the bake sale becoming a weekly event, following an event last week with another planned for Monday, said Barrow. 

Zeta Tau Alpha sister and nursing junior Juana Galindo said next week’s event is planned for 11:30 a.m. to 1:30 p.m. Monday.

@gunnisonmatula

gunnison.matula@gmail.com